Windrush Shirtdress

2015/02/img_0380.jpg

A little while ago some amazing Liberty fabric caught my eye… As I googled the various colourways, I stumbled upon this amazing story on uppercase magazine about just how the print was made. Helen Musselwhite hand cut the whole thing! Definitely a worthy read…

2015/02/img_0381.jpg

I didn’t think I would splurge and buy any of this fabric, until my mum offered to buy some special fabric for me for Christmas. I ordered it online from Shaukat.

2015/02/img_0382-0.jpg

I wanted to make a dress, and to choose a pattern that would help break up the repeat a little. I flirted with the idea of a BHL Sabrina dress for a little while, but then settled on the Pauline Alice Camí dress. I quickly made up a toile and had the whole dress done over one weekend because I was determined to wear it on my first day at my new job!!

2015/02/img_0377.jpg

What a great print matched with a great pattern! And funnily the fabric name ‘windrush’ is pretty appropriate to the pattern – walking in the city you can get some good billows!! But the skirt is not indecently short by any means so no major troubles so far!

2015/02/img_0379.jpg

This dress sewed up very nicely, and after making so many Archers I didn’t really need to spend too long reading the instructions! The invisible zip made me most nervous, by my new Janome I treated myself to last year handled it well. Hooray for invisible zipper feet! And automatic button holes!

2015/02/img_0378.jpg

The buttons are from the Alannah Hill factory outlet store in Fitzroy, they match so nicely! I should have taken a close up.

2015/02/img_0376-0.jpg

I loved making and love wearing this dress, and I have another cut out! The next version will be in a very different but still very lovely floral… Hopefully this weekend sees some sew time!

Indigo Monsoon Dahlia

IMG_9973.JPG

A few weeks ago I received my order from Stitch 56 all wrapped up nicely in pink tissue. Rarely for me, I chose my fabric and pattern at the same time.

IMG_9969.JPG

I sewed up Colette Pattern’s Dahlia in a straight size 4 and was super pleased with how it turned out. I also made it up first in a quilting cotton first, which was nice too, but it definitely benefits from the nice floaty drape of this fabric.

IMG_9971.JPG

My only real modification was to use the selvedge for the hem, and so had to straighten out those pattern pieces.

IMG_9970.JPG

Comfortable and pretty to wear, and fun to make, this pattern is a winner!

IMG_9968.JPG

I like how the fabric is a bit ocean-y – A wide sandy strip, turquoise shallows, and then a deep blue.

IMG_9967.JPG

I think this dress will be getting a lot of wear!