I got to choose my backing and binding fabrics today! It was so hard to choose – so many different options with completely different feels. I went in looking for something big, bold, floral, and yellow or red.
These were some of my strongest contenders.
I loved the yellow and it ticked so many of my boxes, however, were only 2 m left, not the four I needed! The bright blue matched my zig zag border well, and the pinks were good too, and mini circles on the back would have been cute with the big ones on the front. But it’s pretty pale and I was looking for something more punchy that stood out from the front. Which brings us to the riotous floral – a great colour match for lots of my reds, blues, yellows and greens, but in a funny way all that wildness ment it didn’t stand out enough for my liking either! So my surprise winner was a modern, painterly, deep blue number! Some how it just works! Maybe because the blue plays off the front background fabric, and the yellows, reds and turquoise pick up little bits throughout the top. It was the winner!
I knew from early on I wanted a red binding, I love red, there is a lot of red in the quilt, and it contrasts well with the blue and white stripe borders I still need to add.
These are the selvedges for future reference. I didn’t realise at the time they were both made in Japan! So that’s kinda cool!
I like to mix old and new in my quilting. Traditional and contemporary fabrics, different manufacturers and lines, and hand and machine quilting. And somehow (I hope) it all comes together on a cohesive quilt at the end. So looking forward to finishing this one!