Oh baby! 

As soon as I heard the news of my dear friend’s sweet girl I jumped out of bed to start sewing! 



First up, this little watercolour heart cat dress. I was so happy to have enough fabric left over from my own dress! 



Of course, once I had made the first version of Rae’s free little geranium dress, I loved it and couldn’t stop at one! The first version was in lawn, and the second quilting cotton, but both were easy to work with and looked cute at the end. 



I highly recommend this pattern! Super cute outcome, easy to sew, you get a great finish, and the contrast potentials are really fun! You can find it here. The method Rae recommends for gathers is genius! Rae was very generous to make the littlest size free, and I will definitely wanting to buy the bigger sizes once I have some older girls to sew for! There are tons of cute variations in the full version that I’d like to try!



I finished the backs of both dresses with little snaps, firmly hand sewn on. I still need to figure out how to stop the stitches showing on the other side! Any good tips? 



All up, a very fun project, and the new parents really liked them! Yay! 

Starting the Smitten Quilt

I have been having so much fun working on a new english paper pieced quilt for the last few weeks. It’s the smitten quilt by Lucy Kingwell and was recommended to me by one of the lovely ladies at my local quilt shop.

There are endless opportunities to play with pattern and colour and I am loving that aspect!! I have been english paper piecing – I only bought three sizes of papers and then chopped them in half to make any other templates. I also had to cut out the biggest hexagon myself.

IMG_0625

I based my fabric choices off two I fell in love with in the store right away, then walked around and added some more and some more at home from my stash.

IMG_0614

I’ve gotten a few comments on Instagram about how I mix my fabrics, and thought I would sit down and try to think about what I do intuitively. I also thought it would be a good little exercise before I go to buy a few more bits!! I think I will run out of fabric before I finish the quilt top otherwise! I thought it would be handy to have a little reference with me.

IMG_0609

I’ve realised I have a pile of pink…

IMG_0611

Another of green…

IMG_0612

And one of blues.

IMG_0613

I also have a bunch of neutrals.

IMG_0615

And now let’s look at my finished hexies! I wanted to show off my biggest prints with the large centres. I think the points around the middle hexie help soften the block.

IMG_0617

This one features another of my largest and very loved prints. I wanted something soft bordering the plates so as not to overwhelm them, and then made it a little more punchy with a pink outside.

IMG_0621

This centre was another of my starter fabrics. I tried to use each colour from the centre, and kept the two busiest and whitest prints away from each other. I think the outer green stops it from being too harsh.

IMG_0620

For my fourth block I wanted to use the plates again because they fit so nicely at this larger size. But I also made myself a rule not to use any of the same fabrics as last time. I’ve contrasted modern and delicate prints, and again used the border to soften the more punchy colours.

IMG_0618

For my last hexagon of this design I mixed lots of busy prints, but tried to use contact and colour to separate them visually.

IMG_0619

And here are all my hexagons playing nicely together!

IMG_0623

I am loving this project!