Indigo Monsoon Dahlia


A few weeks ago I received my order from Stitch 56 all wrapped up nicely in pink tissue. Rarely for me, I chose my fabric and pattern at the same time.


I sewed up Colette Pattern’s Dahlia in a straight size 4 and was super pleased with how it turned out. I also made it up first in a quilting cotton first, which was nice too, but it definitely benefits from the nice floaty drape of this fabric.


My only real modification was to use the selvedge for the hem, and so had to straighten out those pattern pieces.


Comfortable and pretty to wear, and fun to make, this pattern is a winner!


I like how the fabric is a bit ocean-y – A wide sandy strip, turquoise shallows, and then a deep blue.


I think this dress will be getting a lot of wear!

English Paper Piecing Kit

Yay!! Christmas morning has been and gone and I can now safely blog about some of my handmade gifts without ruining the surprise for any of my recipients!


This one was for my mum. I don’t think she reads the blog, but if you do, hi mum! I’m glad you liked this!


The idea behind this gift was to gather the all necessary supplies for an English paper piecing project, and package them up in a cute and practical way.


I spent a while perusing Pinterest looking for the perfect idea. I knew I’d found a winner when I saw this great tutorial from Amy at lotsofpinkhere.


Having spaces for both the tools needed (thread, needles, scissors) and ample pockets to store cut fabric and paper templates was just what I needed. It was also great seeing so many lovely variations in the Flickr pool!


It was fun picking fabrics for the pockets! I think my only variations were using a ribbon for the thread holder because I had no Velcro, and I also winged the shape of the scissor holder because I didn’t want to print out the template! Again, I used no pins. What can I say, I’m a crafting rebel. The binding was machine sewn on the inside before being folded and hand stitched to the outside.


After I took these photos I added a few more things – fabric cut ready into diamonds, and some needles and needle threaders. Mum was very happy with it and I’m excited to see her start her first English paper piecing project!

Quilt #4 (before numbers one, two and three).

So, about a week ago I went to the quilt shop with my mum, because she needed to hang a quilt. I was absolutely definitely not getting anything for myself. Despite a nice long browse, I made it to the counter with my mum, where I was told there were sale items out in one of the back rooms.

I did not leave empty handed. I couldn’t say no to some half price precut selections!!


A few hours later and this happened. Pairing up squares, sewing and cutting half square triangles, (half triangle squares?), ironing flat, and trimming. These were so much fun! I used this great method I found on a Craftsy blog post. Thanks Craftsy!


This is how I arranged them! I wanted the heavier spots at the bottom and I kept the more regular prints to one orientation. I had grouped print repeats together, but changed my mind and balanced them out a bit more. It was a fun process, as I had nothing in mind before beginning.


This is the fabric I chose for the backing.


It seems to complement most colours used on the front, and has a calming effect over all. I used the backing to bind it all in one piece. I like how it matches one of the stripes exactly! Happy coincidence!


I finished this off on holidays, away from my rulers, rotary cutter, and sewing machine. I think I did alright squaring it up by eye!


It was my very first finished quilt. I enjoyed the hand quilting! Just diagonal lines in perle cotton. I like to live on the edge when I craft – no pins, no markings! In the whole quilt! Laura didn’t have fancy rulers either, in her little house on the prairie, and they managed just fine!


I’m keen to go on with my other quilty projects now!!